Saturday, January 3, 2015

1970s Supergirl Patch


I was relaxing the other day, reading Sword of Sorcery #2, a fantasy book from 1973 starring Fritz Lieber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, written by Denny O'Neill and drawn by a young Howard Chaykin. (I do love me my early 70's DC fantasy books - Stalker, Beowulf, Sword of Sorcery, Starfire, etc).

And what do I see at the back? An old ad for patches of DC characters ... including Supergirl!

For a mere $1, you could be the owner of any of these! If only I had a time machine.


This is pure 70s Supergirl - hot pants, ballerina slippers, puffy sleeves. Who wouldn't want this on their backpack or hoodie zip-up sweatshirt.

And I am pretty sure I know the source material.


Art Saaf's splash page from 1972's Supergirl #1.

I wish I could find a picture of the actual patch. But the ad will have to suffice.

2 comments:

Martin Gray said...

That is such a beautiful illo, and I vaguely remember the ad. Wasn't Supergirl also among those stickers of DC heroes meant to be stuck on walls and wardrobes and the like? The ones that used the cover corner images? Bet parents were thrilled.

Ah yes, here's the ad.

http://snipurl.com/stickykara

Such fun!

Anj said...

Thanks man!

Love that ad too!

I was a wee lad then so couldn't order things!