Tuesday, March 17, 2015

June 2015 Solicits

Convergence ends in May 2015 which means that June is a soft reboot for the DC Universe. I think the word DC is using 'rebranding'. And they are lauding 'canon over continuity'. And I have to give DC credit, they are expanding their line adding new and interesting books.

The solicits had been dripping out over a number of different websites initially but luckily they have finally all been released and consolidated. Here is a link: http://www.newsarama.com/23819-dc-comics-full-june-2015-solicitations.html

Now there is a lot I could talk about. My interest in Starfire, the new Black Canary book, and the weird decision to publish Doomed.

But I feel like I need to pause here to note that this is the first month since August 2005 that a Supergirl book won't be on the rack. That is a nearly 10 year run of Kara headlining a book. It has been that good of a decade for Supergirl fans (even with the creative ups and downs). Let's have a moment to reflect on that.


With that behind us, both the lack of Supergirl and the interesting new books, we have to look at the Super-books and what DC is doing to the Trinity in this soft reboot.


ACTION COMICS #41
Written by GREG PAK and AARON KUDER
Art and cover by AARON KUDER
THE JOKER Variant cover by DARWYN COOKE

The epic new storyline “TRUTH” begins! For Superman, there’s no more holding back!

First off Superman is reverting to the Morrison 'jeans and t-shirt' costume. He has no cape. The S-shield has a black background with yellow piping similar to the Fleischer cartoon symbol. And he has a crew cut. To be honest, I kind of like the look. I was a huge fan of the Morrison run and thought maybe that 'early Superman' was left too early.

I don't know if I like the bloody fists and grim countenance.


SUPERMAN #41
Written by Gene Luen Yang
Art and cover by John Romita Jr. and Klaus Janson
The Joker variant cover by Karl Kerschl

The epic new story line “TRUTH” continues with the debut of the amazing new creative team of new writer Gene Luen Yang ("American Born Chinese") and continuing artists John Romita Jr. and Klaus Janson! What will happen when the big secret is revealed?

I am excited with the idea of Greg Pak and Gene Luen Yang leading the Superman books.

But I still am not a fan of Romita Jr. And it looks like he has Superman still in the costume under his street clothes here.

And I guess The Truth revolves around Clark's secret identity being revealed to everyone.



BATMAN/SUPERMAN #21
Written by GREG PAK
Art and cover by ARDIAN SYAF
THE JOKER Variant cover by JOCK

The epic new storyline “TRUTH” continues! In this chapter, what are the consequences of a bond broken?

Now we get a peek at what DC is doing to Batman after Convergence. He is in armor ... with bunny ears ... and a missile rack on his shoulders. Reminds me of Az-Bat.

I don't read the Batman solo books at all so I have no idea why this is happening. But really? Armor?


SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #18
Written by PETER J. TOMASI
Art by DOUG MAHNKE and others
Cover by PAULO SIQUEIRA
THE JOKER Variant cover by CLIFF CHIANG

The epic new storyline “TRUTH” continues! As the pressure mounts, a relationship is tested!

And we get to see what DC is doing to Diana after Convergence. She is also in more armor, with big blades extending from her Amazon bracelets. Put a fleur-de-lis on her and she'd look like Azrael!

Two of the Trinity compared to Azrael! Sherman, set the WABAC machine for the 90s!!

And don't these two kids look like they are in love??

What am I doing with this title.




BIZARRO #1
Written by HEATH CORSON
Art and cover by GUSTAVO DUARTE
1:25 Variant cover by KYLE BAKER

“Hate HARLEY QUINN? Then you will super hate BIZARRO! Bizarro star of worstest comic ever! Go ahead and miss it! If there’s one thing this issue not have it these two things: Jimmy Olsen and Chupacabras!” Don’t miss the start of this six-issue all-ages miniseries!

After the excellent Bizarro issue of Action Comics, I figured I should plug the upcoming all-ages Bizarro book, one of those new ideas that DC is putting out after Convergence. I am interested in this enough to try it.


SUPERGIRL VOL. 6: CRUCIBLE TP
Written by TONY BEDARD, K. PERKINS and MIKE JOHNSON
Art by KARL MOLINE, JONBOY MEYERS, EMANUELA LUPACCHINO and others
Cover by EMANUELA LUPACCHINO

Kara must deal with the fallout of the green Kryptonite skies over a dead Earth, and the horrors still to come! This volume features a SUPERMAN: DOOMED tie-in from the pages of SUPERGIRL #34-40, and SUPERGIRL: FUTURES END #1.

At least DC is doing the right thing and collecting the last issues of the Supergirl title into a trade. This book has been great over the last year. I'll be glad to have this trade in my collection. I would love a foreword from Perking and Johnson.

But ... that's it ...

No Supergirl. No Smallville. No Adventures of Superman.

Going in to the super-books with an open mind here. I have some trust in the creators.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had your trust in the creators Anj but I feel so let down with the direction of the Superman Family titles Post Convergence. A Thug looking Superman, another Super Family crossover and the reveal of Clark Kent's secret identity are certainly not the kind of Superman stories I want to be reading.

It's made me drop all New 52 Superman titles until further notice as I can't afford them all and don't want to read something I don't like the sound of.

Louis

Anonymous said...

Wonder Woman's new costume looks hideous...As inconstantly as DC Editorial has handled Kousin Kara it's nothing compared to the mishaugas they've piled up around Diana. I honestly think the amazon somehow scares them on some weird level.
Seriously why don't they just turn her into a man and be done with it....?

JF

Jay said...

As those who are familiar with my comments know, I'm a big fan of both SM/WW the title and just them being together. But these solicits of "testing the relationship" need to stop its. Its freaking tiresome. Not every single thing that happens has to be a test. This was one of the reasons why I soured on the marriage.

As for the new looks, Wonder Woman's is okay I guess, but Fabok's rendition on JL is so much better, I don't know why they don't just use that full time instead of commissioning a new, inferior look. Unless there's a direct reason she has to wear it.

Superman...eh. The S I love, but I'm not a big fan of going back to the t-shirt and jeans, especially without the cape. But I can forgive all that except the goofy crew cut. Looks too much like old Conner. Too big of a departure, Superman needs some locks.

Unknown said...

I love the new looks for the characters. Sure Batman looks like the Easter Bunny on Mecha-roids but Wonder Woman has a costume fitting for a warrior princess. She's stylish and ready for a fight! The Superman costume does hint that maybe the Clark Kent persona is gone and he's just going casual now as there is no need for hiding.

Plus, a modest Superman wouldn't want a flashy costume and perhaps he wants to be a 'man of the people' and what better way than looking more like them?

I'm willing to bet my copy of New Mutants #98 that Supergirl will get a new title when the TV series airs. They want to give her a fresh start with a new voice and the TV series will be a nice gateway for new readers. Also it could mean bringing back the skirt and I LOVE that.

Bizzaro seems like it's going to be perfect. Another 'gateway' book to introduce kids into Superman's world.

As far as Superman/Wonder Woman everything they do will 'test' their relationship. If everything is always happy and cuddly, the relationship will grow stale and boring. Lois and Clark had plenty of problems over the course of their relationship. There is no 'perfect couple'.

Anonymous said...

I got the Kon-El / Connor Kent vibe from the "new" Superman wardrobe, and a Dark Knight Returns vibe
from Batman... the Wonder Woman wardrom I'll just class as another "experiement" in "practical" clothing
for the female characters by DC management, but I'm intrigued.

We'll see if they actually release the last TPB of Supergirl -- I do hope they do and NOT pull the same
stunt as they did with Good Looking Corpse TPB.

Regards

Manu said...

Wolver Woman & Super Macho... :)

Anj said...

Thanks for the comments.

Jay, you know I'm not a fan of the Clark/Diana pairing. It doesn't help that they are always testing the relationship without showing me that these two belong together (at least for me). I think you are right. If DC is committed to them bring together they should let them be together happily for a bit!